Founded in 1982, Cantemus (Latin for “Let us sing”) is a small chorus of skilled singers dedicated to diverse, innovative programming and skillful, expressive performances. Singers are drawn from across the North Shore of Massachusetts and beyond.
Position Overview: Cantemus seeks an energetic and motivated Assistant Conductor. The Assistant Conductor must be a versatile musician who will contribute to the ensemble’s artistic growth. Reporting to the Artistic Director, Jane Ring Frank, the Assistant Conductor must have some knowledge of choral repertoire, proven conducting technique, rehearsal preparation skills and the versatility to communicate in a wide variety of traditional and non-traditional musical styles. In addition, they should be able to represent the Artistic Director and the organization in public performances, events, and patron interactions, as needed.
Outline of Primary Responsibilities:
- The Assistant Conductor will conduct selected works and/or programs during the season, as opportunities are identified by the Artistic Director.
- Conduct warm-ups, rehearsals and sectional rehearsals as needed.
- Assist in auditioning new singer applicants.
- Serve as a singing member of The Chorus and attend weekly rehearsals to collect and organize markings and musical details. Rehearsals take place weekly on Tuesdays from 7:30-10pm on the North Shore from September through April. In addition there is a required dress rehearsal before each concert as well as one Saturday morning rehearsal per semester.
- Participate in Cantemus outreach, master classes and planning, as requested.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in music or music education.
- Demonstrated musicianship and conducting skills.
- Understanding of the voice and choral techniques.
- High level of responsibility and professionalism.
- A pleasant demeanor with strong communication skills.
To learn more about Cantemus Chamber Chorus, visit our website: www.cantemus.org
Compensation: Part-time position; $4,000-$7,000 based upon qualifications and experience.
To Apply: Send the following materials to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resume or CV (PDF file preferred)
- List of three references. At least one reference must be a conductor with whom you have worked. Please include both a phone number and email address for references.
- Links to video(s) that demonstrate conducting in rehearsal or performance.
Timeline: Interested candidates should submit their professional materials as soon as possible. Review of applications will begin August 23, 2021 and continue until position is filled.