Tenor Section Leader
Chorus Austin is looking for a Tenor Section Leader to support our Symphonic Chorus between September 2021-June 2022. This individual will assist in managing our 150 voice Symphonic Chorus by overseeing the activities of the tenor section during six concerts in the 2021-2022 season. Chorus Austin strives to perform excellent and diverse choral music that connects and enriches the lives of musicians and audiences throughout Central Texas. With an eye to the future and an ear to the past, our inclusive, community-based musicians are committed to changing people’s lives through choral music that is available to a diverse, vibrant, and ever-expanding audience.
Desirable qualities. The Section Leader should:
- Be a skilled musician able to read music well (piano skill useful, but not required)
- Be able to attend most rehearsals.
- Have significant experience as a choral singer and solo singer
- Possess good interpersonal and communication skills
- Work in conjunction with other Section Leaders
- Have flexibility in a variety of musical styles
- Be willing and able to represent Chorus Austin in a manner befitting its by-laws and mission as a member of its' artistic staff
- Be willing and able to support the Artistic Director and other staff in artisic decisions and other matters relating to the artistic health and growth of the chorus
- Have an energetic and positive personality
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in leading rehearsals for our Symphonic Chorus, including:
- Attending Symphonic Chorus rehearsals on Monday evenings (7:00-10:00 p.m.), dress rehearsals, and concert events
- Assisting in developing rehearsal plans for the sectionals in accordance with the needs of the ensemble and under the guidance of the Artistic Director
- Leading sectionals as needed
- Taking careful note of details in rehearsal, such as phrasing, breathing, pronunciation etc., so that exact details can be communicated to members
- Preparing weekly rehearsal notes for your section members in collaboration with the Artistic Director
- Giving score markings to the section as needed
- Being willing to take initiative in the absence of the Artistic Director (e.g. lead a warm-up).
- Assist in managing the membership of the Symphonic Chorus, including:
- Monitoring rehearsal attendance of members in sections.
- Completing administrative tasks including maintaining singer attendance sheets, seating charts, singer lists for programs, etc.
- Providing coaching and encouragement for the individual members of the section
- Alerting Artistic Director and Operations Director of any singers who aren’t performance-ready due to too many absences, lack of preparation, etc,.
- Facilitate communication between the singers, Artistic Director, and Operations DIrector, including:
- Answering questions during rehearsals or or collect questions to send to the Artistic Director later
- Sending weekly email correspondence to the section members
Required Attendance. The Section Leader is required to attend all concerts for the Symphonic Chorus. Concert dates for the 2021-2022 season are as follows:
- November 19-20, 2021
- December 6-8, 2021
- December 12, 2021
- December 18, 2021
- February 19, 2022
- June 11, 2022
Full rehearsal schedule will be provided to applicants upon request.
This is a part-time contractor position paid on a per-call basis. Pay per call is $50 for in-person or $25 if virtual call. No benefits aside from payment are offered.