Artistic Director (Full Time)
San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus (SDGMC), now celebrating its re-opening after almost two years in pandemic lockdown, is seeking its new Artistic Director. The new Artistic Director will take the reins in 2022 during our 37th season. Recent funding has made it possible for us to expand the scope of this position to full time status. Based in America’s Finest City, SDGMC is one of the largest gay choruses in the world, having sung at locations including the White House, the Super Bowl, and Lincoln Center. Widely respected as an arts and community leader in the San Diego area, the chorus’s official mission is to create a positive musical experience through exciting performances which engage our audiences, build community support, and provide a dynamic force for social change.
THE SDGMC ARTISTIC DIRECTOR’S JOB DESCRIPTION
The following is a general overview of the position’s responsibilities and is subject to change depending upon organizational needs. Each of the following duties and responsibilities is to be performed in a timely manner, to ensure that all rehearsal and performance elements are prepared and ready to be deployed when needed.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce an annual performance schedule to include at least three full-chorus main stage shows and at least one stand-alone Chamber Chorale concert
- Design and conduct each concert performance to include theme development and integration of guest artists, ensembles, soloists, and visual elements
- Identify concert themes and collaborations that support the chorus mission
- Ensure that the current season music is selected and purchased with the assistance of the chorus staff and committee members in time for music to be reproduced and rehearsal tracks to be completed
- Manage each audition process (chorus member and soloist), with the option to delegate parts to selected leaders, where necessary
- Oversee the timely production of rehearsal tracks for each main stage show
- Design, organize, and publish rehearsal schedules
- Create a solo audition process in collaboration with section leaders and ensure that the process and selection of soloists is fair, unbiased, and transparent; communicate results in a timely manner
- Audition, select and coach soloists and small group ensembles
- Conduct and manage rehearsals on the predetermined schedule
MANAGEMENT & COACHING:
- Coordinate sectional rehearsals with section leaders
- Locate and secure technicians and musicians for each concert program
- Manage artistic/production staff to ensure that technical needs, venue contracts, blocking, costuming and staging details run smoothly
- Hire, manage, and coach the activities of the chorus section leaders and artistic staff, contractors including Assistant Artistic Directors, Musicians, Choreographers, Dancers, Producers and other Directors
- Attend all board meetings and provide a monthly report that includes feedback from production/artistic team as well as the artistic Director
ADVOCACY & COMMUNITY:
- Oversee outreach performance creative content and ensure each performance is properly staffed with a conductor and an accompanist
- Promote and share SDGMC shows and events on social medial platforms
- Share the mission of the chorus in public or at events where socially acceptable
- Attend events with targeted potential donors as requested by SDGMC Leadership
- Attend all formal SDGMC fundraising events
- Refrain from any behavior—whether on chorus time, or personal time in the community—which could reflect negatively on the chorus or damage its reputation
- Ensure all public and social media posts and messaging contain only images and communications that reflect positively on you, other members of the chorus, community members and the organization. Ensure all social media posts contain nothing that would be considered lewd, defaming, inappropriate or offensive
- Collaborate with chorus members, the Board of Directors, and other volunteers to promote a positive atmosphere of community and fellowship—both within the organization and to the community at-large
- Assist the SDGMC Executive Director and Board of Directors in securing donations and grants
- Work with the Executive Director to prepare an annual budget
- Oversee and maintain music library
- Maintain office hours appropriate to accomplish job responsibilities
- Participate in professional organizations, such as GALA Choruses, Choral Consortium of San Diego, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with professional colleagues in the San Diego area, including the San Diego Women’s Chorus, San Diego Queer Youth Chorus, etc.
- Other activities to nurture continued skill enhancement
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Music, or related field required
- Master’s Degree in related field preferred
- Equivalent combination of education and progressive, relevant, and direct experience will be considered in lieu of educational requirement
- Have ability to sing and/or play all parts (TTBB)
- Demonstrated experience in an organizational role requiring leadership, guidance, coaching, collaboration, and empowerment
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in creating / producing virtual content as an alternative, or supplement to live performances
- Ability to mediate problems and reach resolution without becoming overwhelmed, emotional, defensive, or withdrawn; ability to act as a settling influence to diffuse tensions
- Demonstrated ability to be flexible, shift gears comfortably, and handle risk and uncertainty
- Comfort in challenging the status quo and communicating out of the box thinking and ideas
- Ability to make reasonable decisions when solutions may be complex or ambiguous; must be very comfortable working in “gray space”
The above information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the Artistic Director. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of the individual assigned to this job.
The San Diego Gay Men’s Chorus is a gay-affiliated organization and is open to all qualified individuals who are supportive of its mission and hold a genuine respect for people of all ethnic, cultural, religious, sexual orientations and gender identities.
ANNUAL SALARY: Based on experience, $80,000 - $90,000+
TIME COMMITMENT: Full time. Flexible hours, evenings and weekends required.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
Deadline for applications has now been extended to October 31, 2021. All interested applicants should apply to Cary Berner, Vice President of the Board of Directors and Chair of the Artistic Committee via email: ADsearch@sdgmc.org. Questions may be directed to Mr. Berner at the same address. Please do not contact the Chorus Office for any matter related to this opportunity. Thank you.